Session One: June 11 to June 16, 2017, School Age
Session Two: June 18 to June 23, 2017, Young Adults
Session Three: June 25 to June 30, 2017, Older Adults – Max Age 60
Camp Big Heart is an overnight summer camp for campers with mild to moderate special needs, sponsored by the Civitan Clubs of Georgia. Campers are invited to join us at Camp John Hope for a week-long session this summer. The dates for 2017 are June 11-16, June 18-23, and June 25-30.
Our mission is to provide the highest quality summer recreational camping experience for Georgia’s developmentally challenged children and adults. Camp Big Heart has over a 30 year history of providing safe, affordable, high quality, individualized and group camping programs staffed and supervised by committed and caring professionals in the field of human services.
- There are countless planned activities and entertainment throughout the week, including pool time, water games, archery, arts & crafts, sports, and many more.
- Our staff brings the fun. The Camp Big Heart staff is energetic and passionate about camp, so every moment is a possibility to have fun.
- Each camper gets to choose his/her own Discovery activity for the week.
- Each camper gets a superlative trophy at the end of the week celebrating their contribution to the cabin.
- We keep our campers moving! Campers exercise and experience the outdoors.
- Every cabin goes to six activities throughout the week, where campers try new things and learn new skills.
- Our staff becomes extremely close to each one of the campers in their individual cabins throughout the week.
- Campers often become best friends with the other campers in their cabin by the end of the week.
Encourage giving and helpfulness
- Every camper is encouraged to help the clean the cabin and tables at mealtimes as their abilities allow.
- Many of our campers help each other by opening doors, pushing wheelchairs, and helping each other get ready in the morning.
- Throughout the week, campers enjoy a boat ride, sit back during nightly entertainment, and get a midday rest as a break from the summer sun.
- Both campers and their parents and caretakers take a break from their normal routine by letting Camp Big Heart plan all of the fun.
I would like to take this opportunity to welcome you to Camp Big Heart. I am looking forward, with great anticipation, to sharing an exciting, challenging, and fun-filled camp experience with you. As we strive together to make this an enjoyable, meaningful, and safe experience for all, your ideas and suggestions are welcomed at all times in any phase of camp. Be assured that I am available for help with any problems at all times. Have a great camp.Lonnie Smith, Camp Director